[hackerspaces] Hackerspace Community Dynamics at HOPE X

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 08:46:39 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I'm running an agenda-based discussion group (date/time TBA) at HOPE X this
weekend in Noisysquare.

Topics for discussion:

* Hacker Sociology: are hackers just regular people with superpowers, or
are special approaches needed for this "special" array of personalities?
Are certain personality archetypes attracted to these spaces (for better or
for worse)?

* Consensus: how does it fscking work? What other models are working?

* Community Process: let's talk about good examples of people with
fundamental belief system conflicts (e.g. "surveillance is evil" versus "we
need security cameras") ironing out their differences.

* Burnout and Member Turnover: an inevitable or preventable consequence of
hackerspace community dynamics?

* The Effectiveness of Policy: what are the best and worst examples of
policies created at any point in a hackerspace's lifetime? Opinionated
ranting welcome.

Throughout all parts of the discussion, we will want to keep asking the
question: what knowledge can we apply from the wider world towards our
approaches?

My dates/times are all TBA -- I'm hoping to get some feedback or requests
for certain dates and times.

Suggestions, comments, questions, and swear words all welcome.

Cheers,
Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most