[hackerspaces] distributed space?

matt matt at nycresistor.com
Mon Jul 7 21:13:54 CEST 2014

Resistor has recently experimented with operating a Heavy space.

It has been... lackluster.  And is basically considered a failure.

We wanted a space to operated bigger equipment... the problem is, the space
is a bit far from our primary space where we tend to all hang out.

And, a machine shop isn't something one should be working in alone.  So it
became something of a pre-scheduled big todo to use.  And as a result it
rarely saw use.  Also the train up on the equipment takes time, and getting
someone to train you is difficult.

In our case I think the biggest issue was that the space was so far from
where we congregated and that was exacerbated heavily by the nature of the
space and it's primary use case.

Ultimately I think you will have a problem with a distributed space
originating from diaspora effect on any community you attempt to cultivate.

People need to be together to cultivate a community.  So without a place to
congregate they will never do that, and what you'll end up with is
balkanized communities at best, and no communities at worst.

-Matt