[hackerspaces] Does the maker culture get the step on the hackers culture?

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 02:58:28 CEST 2014

>> You can call it what you want, friend, but without a business plan or
>> a larger economic/political agenda, I call it a clubhouse, which is
>> spelled: D-O-O-M-E-D.
>
> Doomed in what sense? I feel that there are many examples of successful
> spaces
> that don't have a business plan or larger agenda.

Let me try to answer again...

To be successful, a organization requires a means of continual
support.   In a business, this is done by making something the market
has a demand for and then charging more than the costs of production.
 If you have a righteous political cause you can garner philanthropic
funding.  But if you just want to tinker, knit, and play with toys??
Not so easy to stay sustainable within a cutthroat real-estate market.
  Not impossible, but I'd like to hear your plan.

Marxos