[hackerspaces] Does the maker culture get the step on the hackers culture?

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 23:42:05 CEST 2014

>> You can call it what you want, friend, but without a business plan or
>> a larger economic/political agenda, I call it a clubhouse, which is
>> spelled: D-O-O-M-E-D.
>
> Doomed in what sense? I feel that there are many examples of successful
> spaces
> that don't have a business plan or larger agenda.

Yes, those spaces are generally riding, like the sfx, on "angel
funding" (i.e. funding that doesn't expect to get paid back but is in
support of the basic idea)  amidst an economic system which is highly
competitive.   In other words, if you're not exploiting the masses,
you probably can't make it economically sustainable.  There are a lot
of problems in America, and making stuff for pleasure without activism
isn't going to fix them.

Marxos