[hackerspaces] Hackerspace drama, oh my!

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Thu Jul 3 21:03:50 CEST 2014

On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 12:24:31 matt wrote:
> I think this boils down to the dichotomy of hackerspace vs co-working space.
>
> If you build up infrastructure and expect a community to show up in it,
> don't be surprised if more than one community shows up, or the community
> that shows up is not one you want to be a part of.
>
> Noisebridge suffers the tragedy of the commons in a pretty severe way...
> having had mole people living in their basement and bi-polar homeless
> people show up and and claim they are 'sleep hacking'.
>
> That's not what I am talking about.  What I am talking about is the last
> line in that piece :
>
> "A lot of this can be traced to our collective inability to remember our
> core pillars of consensus, excellence, and do-ocracy. There is no one
> person or event that can be blamed. As a community, we failed to hold close
> the values we had.
>
> *We were hacked by policy hackers."*
> Now I don't know anything about synhak... so I am just going to speak to
> the perspective brought forth by the person who wrote this piece.  This is
> a person who enjoyed the community that arrived at synhak in the early
> days.  As the space grew and changed and time went on, so did the culture
> and so did the community.

If anyone is curious at all, here are the public archives of SYNHAK's
discussion since we started it three years ago:

https://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@synhak.org/

Feel free to troll through it and figure out how the culture changed outside
of the core members who founded it.

Also to note: From what I can tell, very few if any of the first 12 or so
members are still involved with SYNHAK since this happened.