[hackerspaces] Hackerspace drama, oh my!

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Wed Jul 2 15:32:03 CEST 2014

On Wednesday, July 02, 2014 13:44:01 David Potocnik wrote:
> There's another perspective to this.
> I guess Torrie & the hackers of Ackron are going to be okay - they
> started a new space right? They moved their stuff and got another
> lease and all is well?

Nope. Board took everything. They also took the $15k in the banking account
and moved it to some other bank without informing the membership or anything,
and is disregarding the portions of the bylaws that explicitly state such
things need to have transparency.

> "Advice I give most folks starting a hackerspace, start a community
> first.  Find the people you want to start the space with.  Worry about
> that.  because at the end of the day, even if you don't have a space,
> that community is worth way way more."
>
> ...Or just simplify building spaces (sharing protocols & know-how),
> build a lot of them and cross-pollinate (travel, hang out). Fork,
> collaborate, merge. Set up varieties, name them and setup
> instances of them. Find and argue about good practices and patterns
> with whoever comes to this platform.
> As the thing progresses on we'll keep having a clearer and clearer
> cartography of different hacker belief systems, and a better idea of
> how they can and cannot coexist.
>
> There is the more stable isotopos: Coworking spaces, Makerspaces, Fablabs.
> I believe Hackerspaces and Hackbases (live-in hackerspaces) should be
> unstable, and definitely not without politics.
> They should be, and sometimes are, avantgarde experimental political
> machines.

Well said. One should be permitted to hack a hackerspace, though in a non-
destructive fashion.