[hackerspaces] Hackerspace drama, oh my!

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Tue Jul 1 18:18:15 CEST 2014

On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 12:02:43 Buddy Smith wrote:
> Saw this on /r/hackerspaces/
>
> https://medium.com/@tdfischer_/rip-synhak-7093ade6b943
>
> Anyone involved care to comment? Has something similar happened to other
> spaces? How did you get past it? How could it be prevented?

Hi, that was me. Heartwarming to see it getting some traction.

Some of the solutions we've come up with for our successor Hackron:

## Incorporating a list of "values" alongside mission statement and purpose in
the bylaws

  https://github.com/tdfischer/hackron/blob/proposals/values/VALUES.md

This is an idea that we picked up from our friends at Norton Imperial Labs out
in the SF bay area.

## Having an onboarding process

99% of our problems could have been solved if we weren't in a rush to pick up
new members. A solution we're considering is having an associate membership
"trial period" of sorts, where you don't have any real powers to hack the
space other than some warm fuzzies that you belong

## Including "Community" and "Safe Space" into our principals

SYNHAK was a fork of Noisebridge. Most folks here know that Noisebridge runs
on consensus, excellence, and do-ocracy (whatever those mean :)). After some
lengthy SYNHAK support group meetings (at the bar), we decided that trying to
argue with the board that we were a safe space and a community was futile. It
just wasn't listed anywhere in the bylaws or anywhere else on the site except
a few implications.

## Codifying our decision making process in the bylaws

The biggest schism that happened was when the current board saw the bylaws and
interpreted a section of it to mean that we vote on everything instead of
consensus. It was pretty much downhill from there with too much yelling and
screaming at meetings. Miserable.