[hackerspaces] Regulators cracking down on code acadamies

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 16:10:58 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Arclight <arclight at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is everyone's take on this? If this sort of regulation catches on
> elsewhere, it seems like it could make all sorts of informal and
> non-accredited learning a regulated activity:
>

> http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/29/california-regulator-seeks-to-shut-down-learn-to-code-bootcamps/

at first I was "wait, what?"  then I saw "$15,000 for a 10 week
course" and was "oh.  these are actual schools.  nothing to see here."

seriously, if you're charging people to education them then you need
to follow the local regulations that are set in place to make sure
that people aren't getting ripped off.  it's really not even that hard
to do, and it sounds like the dept is willing to walk them through it.

For hackerspace hosted classes/workshops a little change in wording
MAY easily skate this.  such as, how does it apply to a private tutor,
does the tutor have to be licensed?  If you're not promising a
certificate or any level of competency, does that apply?  if it's
"suggested donation" instead of "class fee" is that exempted?