[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Lokkju Brennr lokkju at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 00:34:55 CET 2014

I've dealt with the issue both at HacDC, and at BrainSilo.

BrainSilo, which I founded back in 2010, was created with the express
intent of being radically inclusive through radical tolerance - aka, say
what you want, and have really thick skin.  This has definitely caused some
people to not want to be associated with the space; it's also locally
driven the start of an expressly feminist hackerspace - which though I
disagree with the concept of, I'm happy to have for those who want it.
 We've never had someone suggest a SSP at BrainSilo, and I don't expect it
to happen - if someone is annoying you, tell them, suck it up, annoy them
back, or ask for the members to censure the problem individual.

While living in DC last year, I was involved in the HacDC Anti-Harassment
policy fiasco - some might say I helped cause it, as I was a primary
objector to the initial draft.  An AHP was proposed with almost no
discussion, and *lots* of problems in it's wording - one of those
exceptionally badly wirtten and subjective ones that are prone to abuse.  A
few people objected on the members mailing list (which was the proper forum
for discussion of proposals), and a the ensuing thread had a massive amount
of triggers in it, causing some other members to claim they were being
harassed just by virtue of the discussion taking place.  This led to a
member of staff taking unilateral action to silence the discussion, and you
can probably imagine how well that went over - essentially, it was a comedy
of errors that wasn't funny at all; eventually, the proposal was voted in
after modifications.

As you've already got your SPP through, congratulations - especially since
it seems a majority of your members either approved of it, didn't care
about it, or didn't understand it.  For others who are considering putting
in either a AHP or SSP, I strongly suggest taking it slow; having
conversations about it take place in a dedicated forum/mailing list that
people have to opt-in for; having trigger warnings everywhere; and having
some people with *really* thick skin acting as moderators.

~ Loki // BrainSilo.org

Just as a nit-picky note, it's normally considered exceedingly reasonable
for a members to ask for the exact resolution/policy to be read before the
vote.  This is referred to as "Stating the Question" and/or "Putting the
Question" in the parlance of RROR, depending on the stage of the
proceedings at which it is done.  While electronic distribution and
discussion of proposals before a vote is wonderful, it's all to easy for
"small things" to get changed between the version that is sent out, and the
version that is adopted/voted on; reading the exact statement/policy that
is to be voted on helps prevent this.

As a further nit-pick, almost by definition a "Safe Space Policy" promotes
and enforces what I'd term inequality; it artificially empowers those who
are willing to appear vulnerable/disadvantaged/non-privileged.  If your
goal, as you state, is founded on a base of equality, perhaps your
definition of equality differs greatly from mine.  I'm curious - when you
say equality, do you mean "affirmative equality"; or do you mean
"blind/neutral equality"?

RROR: http://www.robertsrules.org/rror-01.htm - see (6) and (9)