[hackerspaces] Let's end the unnecessary joining of the words "food" and "hacking"

Daniel Harmsworth atrophy at caffeinator.net
Mon Jan 27 09:42:18 CET 2014

Hi Kevin,

The definition of hacking in the Oxford is not the definition
generally accepted in the community, its certainly a part of it but
its much narrower that it is interpreted by people on this list in
particular, I would suggest having a look at the definition of a hack
in the Jargon File[1] for a definition closer to what its thought of
by hackerfolk in general.

And as Rubin so rightly said, once you start arguing about what
"Hacking" is you are destined for madness for down that path there be
dragons (and probably various mutated organisms left over from the
BioHacking night :P)

[1] http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hack.html

On 27 January 2014 09:01, Kevin Mitnick <kevin.mitnick at outlook.com> wrote:
> Fine. You're not a member of Noisebridge, but you're still ignoring my
> points with citing a document that doesn't address the questions and
> problems at hand.
>

> Kevin Mitnick
> (May or may not be the Kevin you think I am)
>
> Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 23:48:32 -0800
>
> From: rubin at starset.net
> To: discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org
> Subject: Re: [hackerspaces] Let's end the unnecessary joining of the words
> "food" and "hacking"
>
> Kevin Mitnick wrote, On 2014-01-26 23:42:
>> Thanks for contributing to the conversation by diluting the term even
>> further. Noisebridge is as much as a hackerspace as a homeless
>> shelter, so as a result can I consider what you guys do as "homeless
>> hacking"? You guys seem to do a lot of "sleep hacking" too and I
>> believe you're toying with "lease hacking" in the process as well.
>> How about you address my points rather than hiding behind a grey
>> area.
>
> I haven't been to Noisebridge in over a year, nor have I been active in
> helping the community function, yet you label me as being part of
> Noisebridge. How does that work?
>
> --
> Rubin
> rubin at starset.net