[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

matt matt at nycresistor.com
Mon Jan 27 04:48:36 CET 2014

Al, if I see a restaurant that has a big sign outside that says "Don't beat
up the white folk."  I am probably going to avoid eating there.  It implies
that the beating of white folk is an issue that has occurred in the past.
Something of an implied public maligning of your community.

The sign itself... does it magically transform your space into some
accepting utopian ideal in which all races colors and creeds can come
together in joy and hackery?  It's a sign dude.  You'd be lucky if anyone
bothered to read it.  And even luckier if they didn't ask you for the dirt
on your past harassment drama that lead to the installation of the sign.
Thus producing... more drama.  And making everyone uncomfortable.
Everyone.  White, Black, Red, Yellow, Beige, Blue ( Silver Nitrate
Poisoning ) everyone.