[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Steven Sutton ssutton4455 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 23:02:35 CET 2014

To add to what Alan said, we also try to think carefully and inform
ourselves about how to approach these kinds of conversations -

Jonathan Haidt is a Moral Psychologist who has a really good book about
bridging divides between different social groups. It focuses on how we can
think about developing *individuals* in organizations/communities by
developing *individual, unique strengths/opportunities*, but we can better
develop diverse *organizations/communities* by emphasizing *similarity and
common ground*. In other words, he invested a lot of time in researching
how members of social groups think about their own group, other groups, and
their interaction. This also means that having a clear mission/direction
that we're all working towards make it easier for us all to feel like we're
on the same team.

Despite some of the strange tangents and the first half of the book
pivoting on liberal/conservative differences, it still totally changed my
perspective about our space and also about how I communicate about
diversity and personal development.

It also offers a lot of good insight on how to keep these kinds of
conversations focused and positive. Sometimes they can get totally
off-track if people get defensive or over-focus on details instead of
seeking common ground and working from there.

http://righteousmind.com/

Steven Sutton
President, Freeside Atlanta
www.freesideatlanta.org