[hackerspaces] People in hackerspaces - ages?

Alan Fay emptyset at freesideatlanta.org
Fri Jan 17 19:18:06 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Josh Pritt <ramgarden at gmail.com> wrote:

> all the safety gear of course.  It just needs to be in your membership
> agreement that members sign away their understanding that power tools and
> soldering irons and the like are inherently dangerous and can maim or kill
> you or your loved ones. So as long as it's a member running the tools they
> know that if the young one gets hurt they assume all risk.  We also

I'm am also not a lawyer, but I know that Decatur Makers here in Atlanta
(specifically targeting parents and K-12) has some serious insurance
policy, as well as background checks on anybody who volunteers to work with
children.

Here's Freeside's age policy:
https://wiki.freesideatlanta.org/fs/Policy_AgeRestrictions

Our cut off is 14 for the workshop, and we make sure the parents understand
it's an 18+ environment.  It's a pretty rare occurrence to have somebody
14-17 working in the workshop; this is mostly to ensure that the workshop
tools are powered down when we have an open house (when most people tend to
bring their kids).