[hackerspaces] Master's thesis

Andrew Schrock aschrock at usc.edu
Thu Jan 16 21:56:22 CET 2014

Hi Maxigas,

I was responding to surveys more generally. Didn't do a close read on this particular one. I generally agree with your points -- you can read surveys for the inherent biases therein. "The averaged american" is a helpful book, as is Laura Stark's work on IRBs, both from more of an historical/STS perspective.

Regarding agenda, it depends on how you define "agenda" and whether you come from an empirical tradition. You come from a european critical tradition so it's natural you would read surveys as a different kind of evidence. From a social science perspective there are rules for assembling proper surveys - eliminating bias while addressing specific research questions or hypotheses. But rarely have I seen good surveys come from an MA student. Errors in surveys - your example of hackers being related to software - may be an "agenda" but it's also poor survey construction and a misunderstanding a population of interest.

For a number of reasons, many of which you outlined, surveys are not a good methodology for gathering data on political participation. What "political" means tends to get defined a priori which is a terrible idea for hacker and maker spaces given their widely divergent ideologies and efforts.

But now we're boring the list crowd. Good to chat as always.