[hackerspaces] Dealing with micromanagement of hackers

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Wed Feb 26 17:08:23 CET 2014

Hi, discuss@!

Lately at my hackerspace, we've had a member who is very interested in
micromanaging the space. I'm currently both treasurer and AWS sysadmin for
synhak.org, where I proposed a budget to use some grant money we received to
secure 3 year funding of our infrastructure.

Time and time again, this member in question wants to form a committee or some
equally stifling bureaucratic structure to analyze any change to the space
under the guise of "investigating all the options".

Micromanagement like this is totally against our culture, but it seems that
there are one or two others who go along with it because it "makes sense".

Whats the best way to kill bureaucratic micromanagement and protect the hacker
ethos at a space?