[hackerspaces] re-vamping theory page on hackerspaces.org

Andrew Schrock aschrock at usc.edu
Tue Feb 11 06:01:44 CET 2014

Discussion raised by Average aka dreamingforward at gmail.com (CC'd) on the theory page (http://hackerspaces.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Theory):
"This page sucks. I'm going to take the liberty to re-write it. Most of what is said is claptrap (i.e. bullshit -- sounds authoritative but isn't). Fair warning."

Given that the theory mailing list is dead, I'm sending an email to the discuss list to open it up for discussion. What say you?

I oppose the move because the point of a wiki is to compile information from a neutral POV. It's not there to promote a singular agenda. Yes "theory" is probably not the best name for this page because it's more a home for cross-linking to info about what hackerspaces are, who goes to them and why. This seems important because there isn't much decent info on hackerspaces online that's not written by boosters (hackerspaces are going to save the world!) or who generally misunderstand how hackerspaces work (hackerspaces are going to save the economy!). The page needs some attention but not a nuking.