[hackerspaces] hackerspaces and depression

Volatile Compound volatilecompound at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 19:54:40 CET 2014

One thing I'll add to this (and Ed and Randall's comments were spot-on):

Birds of a feather flock together, and that's not necessarily a good
thing.  The last thing that anyone suffering from depression needs is to
be surrounded by other people with similar interests but who may be
reinforcing - or at least not encouraging progression from - behaviours
that may be damaging (and I use the word 'damaging' in a loose sense
here; inclusive of but not limited to physical harm) to themselves
and/or others.

In my view, participation in a hackerspace *may* be a good thing.
However, Randall nailed it with the following:

 > makerspaces should absolutely not be seen as solutions to depression...
 > but rather, one component in *possible* concert with more direct,
 > professional methods.

By definition, these are *not* places designed to provide those
approaches.  That doesn't mean that there cannot be therapeutic value,
but to view them as any sort of answer to the problems an individual may
be suffering from is, frankly, dangerous not only for that individual
but also potentially the space as a whole.

- skroo.