[hackerspaces] hackerspaces and depression

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Mon Dec 22 19:32:01 CET 2014

This is a complicated question.

Speaking personally, hackerspaces have for me been many things:
- A source of community and a place to get together with my friends and
social support network.
- A source of stress that I've had to step back from at times for the sake
of mental health. This was mostly true when I was a board member and/or
officer.

Also, mentally ill or seriously stressed members who aren't seeking
treatment and don't have healthy coping mechanisms can be extremely toxic
for the community.

-Ed

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Clement Quinson <clem at electrolab.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
> what we've seen here, is that hackerspaces can help people with depression
> in that:
> - they're among similar minded people, what can be NOT the case as an
> engineer/tech person working in the industry.
> - the space is some sort of a social circle, in which interactions can go
> much further than just sharing tools/projects.
> - people can work on meaningful and/or interesting projects, not only what
> you're told to work on to pay your bills.
> I may forget other aspects, but these are the main that come to my mind
> right now !
> C.
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Florencia Edwards <floev22 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> More info everyone, please. Thanks

>> Hackerspaces provide a space to express oneself creatively and
>>> productively in an otherwise destructive (semi-)economic system that
>>> would exploit such talent for non-creative ends. If you need to know
>>> more than that, you can email me personally.
>>>
>>> marxos

Edward L. Platt
http://elplatt.com
http://civic.mit.edu/users/elplatt
http://i3detroit.com
@elplatt <http://twitter.com/elplatt>

This electronic mail message was sent from my desktop personal computer.
Please forgive any long-winded, overly-prosaic ramblings.