[hackerspaces] Makerspace best practices in the US context (was payed staff vs volunteers)

Randall Arnold randall.arnold at texrat.net
Wed Dec 17 17:17:25 CET 2014

I can attest that the Dallas makers are a great bunch.  I'm ~30 miles away in
Fort Worth and envious of their success.  They're definitely worth a visit.

In my opinion, just based on observation, they've been helped by:

- hardcore love of hacking.  There are many members who are persistent and
consistent in getting together to just Do Stuff

- community classes.  Folks like Eric Chaney have done a great job putting
together sessions that people find interesting and useful

- tolerance for diversity.  The membership runs the gamut of interests and
ideals, and even when there's disagreement they haven't let it derail the
overall purpose (unlike Tarrant Makers, which did)

We've got other maker communities and spaces popping up in the DFW area, so the
movement is catching on.  In Fort Worth we'll even be holding our first
maker-oriented event next month: http://www.fabnowconference.com/.  All are
welcome, and I'm putting together a panel for the local maker orgs (Robert, that
should include you guys).

Randy