[hackerspaces] payed staff vs volunteers

Leigh Honeywell leigh at hypatia.ca
Tue Dec 16 03:39:40 CET 2014

Pay someone to do the things you dread doing, whenever possible. For some
that's cleaning, for others (for many!) it's bookkeeping / accounting. At
Double Union we pay for bookkeeping and it's super super worth it in terms
of preventing treasurer burnout.

-Leigh

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Florencia Edwards <floev22 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Please more answers!

>> At makers local 256 it's more of a everyone is a volunteer kind of thing.
>> If you put something in the garbage can that stacks above the rim then you
>> just take it to the dumpster and put in a fresh bag. I think everyone had
>> taken the trash out at least once. Then once a month or every two months
>> when it gets really cluttered and dirty they have a clean up day where
>> several members will volunteer (sometimes everyone pitches in a few bucks
>> to order pizza or whatever) and get the place tidied up. This works really
>> well as far as I can tell.
>> At melbourne makerspace in Florida we decided to offer a free membership
>> in exchange for extra help cleaning up. Several members also help mopping
>> and cleaning up from time to time too so it doesn't become a crazy
>> nightmare.
>>
>> The general idea is for everyone to clean up after themselves as a nice
>> rule. We keep saying, "your momma doesn't work here" to keep the idea
>> going.
>> On Dec 14, 2014 1:37 PM, "Overflo" <flo at tekstix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ohai
>>>
>>> we had this discussion before at metalab vienna.
>>> there is a makerspace in vienna where they have paid staff. the whole
>>> culture there is VERY different from ours.
>>> we decided we dont want this for our space and that voluntary engagement
>>> is a very important part of staying open and selfregulating.
>>> this works so lala for metalab, could be better, could be much worse.
>>> especially cleaning and maintaining all the hardware is a tedious
>>> struggle, but i doubt it would be more efficient  if people would be paid
>>> to take care of this tasks.
>>> in fact it would make everyone else not contribute anymore.
>>>

>>> we DO have a paid cleaning company coming in one day a week for 4 hours
>>> clean the toilets and mob the floors.
>>> that was a very good decision.
>>>

>>> :*
>>> -flo