[hackerspaces] How to make money to sustain a hackerspace

Randall Arnold randall.arnold at texrat.net
Mon Dec 8 01:11:28 CET 2014

Here are some I’ve seen used and some that just make sense:

*	silent auctions (typically held in conjunction with meetups and/or other fundraisers)
*	donation jar at retail and other supporting establishments
*	community events (bowlathons, et al)
*	dinner nights (example: one local restaurant near me provides 15% of night's take when you hold a dinner gathering)
*	swag sales (Etsy, Cafepress, Zazzle, et al)
*	“garage” sales
*	Sponsors
*	Grants (in the US there are a LOT of federal, state and corporate grant opportunities)
*	One-time corporate donations (provide a community service, get free money from interested companies)
*	Partnerships (quid pro quo activities)
*	Amazon Smile (Amazon contributes money to your nonprofit with each purchase when you register and people use http://smile.amazon.com for purchase url
*	various best practices: http://www.bing.com/search?q=nonprofit+fundraising <http://www.bing.com/search?q=nonprofit+fundraising&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=nonprofit+fundraising&sc=8-16&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=81bf0599e6d24ab18850dfcf5a5a3553> &qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=nonprofit+fundraising&sc=8-16&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=81bf0599e6d24ab18850dfcf5a5a3553

Randy