[hackerspaces] Join in remembering Aaron Swartz - Call for events November 8-9

Noah Swartz swartzcr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 19:43:17 CEST 2014

Dear Hackerspaces,
A year and a half ago my older brother Aaron Swartz passed away, and left
behind many unfinished projects along with a large absence
of conscientiousness and activism in the world. Last November Lisa Rein and
Brewster Kahle held a day of remembrance at the Internet Archive
<https://archive.org/details/aaronswartzday2013> in San Francisco to talk
about the work people had done to carry Aaron's torch in the year since his
death. Among the speakers were Carl Malamud - 'rouge archivist' in charge
of public.resource.org, Cindy Cohn - legal director of the EFF, Brewster
Kahle - founder of the Internet Archive, Kevin Poulsen, who is heading up
some of the FOIA cases against the U.S. Government to get Aaron's FBI and
Secret Service files released, James Dolan and Garrett Robinson, from the
Freedom of the Press Foundation, who are heading up the "SecureDrop"
development effort .
At the same time me, some friends, and a large number of hackerspaces
around the world held events to talk about open information, rally against
the laws that Aaron was prosecuted under, and get involved in projects and
efforts that Aaron was involved with. We worked on generating FOIA
requests, hacking on SecureDrop, Tor, and RECAP, translated Aaron's
writings, along with many other projects. More information about those
events can be found at http://aaronswartzhackathon.org/.
This coming November the Internet Archive will be hosting another day of
remembrance, and I would like to invite you to participate in holding
events like we did last year. The specific formats and focus of the events
is up to you, but we'd like to request that you let us know:

   - If you plan to hold an event so that we can spread the word about it
   - What projects you plan to work on, to allow others to join them
   remotely
   - And if you need any help organizing or coordinating your event

I hope to hear back from many of you soon.
Sincerely,
Noah Swartz

P.S. if you do not know about Aaron or his story you may benefit from
watching Brian Knappenberger's recent documentary about him:
https://archive.org/details/TheInternetsOwnBoyTheStoryOfAaronSwartz