[hackerspaces] US - Question regarding negotiating supplier discounts for members?

Shirley Hicks shirley at velochicdesign.com
Fri Aug 1 19:36:08 CEST 2014

Good afternoon everyone.

A long time ago, in a country far away (Canada) from where I currently live (Birmingham, AL), my art schoo student card gave me access to (usually) a 10-15% discount on purchases of supplies and materials for student projects.
While working in Toronto, several of the companies I worked for also gave discounts to specific technical schools for purchase of materials.

I'm about to see if I can do the same with some of our suppliers here in the city of Birmingham. (we have a couple of standing agreements with online retailers).
Is this something that anyone running US maker spaces has attempted to negotiate within their local communities for their members? What was your experience? Any tips or advice?

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers
Birmingham, AL