[hackerspaces] Wiki license

Iain R. Learmonth irl at fsfe.org
Mon Apr 21 22:07:20 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 03:04:57PM -0300, hellekin wrote:
> What's your hackerspace's wiki license?

At 57North Hacklab, we're CC-BY-SA. I considered a NC variant, but really I
don't care if people make money off things, as long as they share their
derivatives and acknowledge the hacklab/its members.

It wasn't until we went to get a free wildcard SSL cert from Globalsign that
we bothered with a license though. Advertising the open source license for
the materials was a requirement for getting the free cert.

An interesting other thing: "4273pi is a freely available, customised
distribution of Raspbian GNU/Linux for the low-cost Raspberry Pi computer.
4273pi is for those wishing to teach, learn or use bioinformatics on the
Raspberry Pi. 4273pi includes 4273pi Bioinformatics for Biologists, an Open
Access bioinformatics course."[1]

[1]: http://eggg.st-andrews.ac.uk/4273pi/

I met the guy that put 4273pi together, and they're releasing the course
materials as CC-0 because they assume people will rip it off anyway and they
have no intention of expending effort trying to stop people from ripping it
off.

Iain.

--
urn:x-human:Iain R. Learmonth
http://iain.learmonth.me/
mailto:irl at fsfe.org
xmpp:irl at jabber.fsfe.org
tel:+447875886930

[[[ I will be away from the 22nd until the 26th of April. I may be ]]]
[[[ slow to respond to emails during this period.                  ]]]

GPG Fingerprint: 1F72 607C 5FF2 CCD5 3F01 600D 56FF 9EA4 E984 6C49
Please verify out-of-band before trusting with sensitive information.

[[[ To any GCHQ or other security service agents reading my email: ]]]
[[[ Please consider if any professional body code of conduct to    ]]]
[[[ which you subscribe requires you to follow Snowden's example.  ]]]
[[[ Your professional membership, chartered or incorporated status ]]]
[[[ may be at risk.                                                ]]]