[hackerspaces] CfP: Interference

Jeff Davis jeff at textsfornothing.com
Wed Apr 16 19:17:36 CEST 2014

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:28:23 -0400, Nathaniel Bezanson <myself at telcodata.us> wrote:
> You lost me somewhere in here...
>
> http://www.blouinartinfo.com/sites/default/files/styles/640w380h_scale_and_crop/public/artenglish-promo1.jpg
>
> webmind  wrote:
> > status quo. Fed up with yet another recuperation, the aim is to
> > re/contextualize hacking as a conflictual praxis and release it from its
> > technofetishist boundaries. Bypassing the cultural filters, Interference

There's a little jargon in there, but it's not hard to understand.  They
think hacking should be about pushing back against the status quo and
having a critical attitude towards technology.

And fundamentally, that's what hackerspaces are about.  We share access
to technical skills and tools, which gives us more understanding of (and
more autonomy towards) the technology around us.  That's inherently
disruptive, but we usually act like it's not, because we're caught up in
the practicalities of running our spaces, and we don't want to create
drama or scare people off by talking about the bigger meaning of what we
do.  This Interference conference wants to get people together to talk
about that "bigger meaning"; that sounds like a good thing to me.

Jeff