[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces survey on Free/Libre Open Source Software

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 7 22:53:28 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Ethan Chew <spacefelix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is such collaboration possible, what examples have been seen and what
> would you envision such from the perspective of FLOSS?

Well, first of all without any profit or source of income working on floss
is not really viable. I am not against profits, capitalism or
entrepreneurship.
Not everything has to be public and open.

There are many combinations of closed and open, private and public and non
and for profits. Hackerspaces need to pay for rent and utilities etc.
There are open source companies that are for profit. There are non profits
companies that use only non-free software.

For me, i just wish that there were some criteria and guidelines we could
all agree on that we can send  to people who want to call themselves a
hackerspace to guide them. I see that my survery was very biased in my
personal view of FLOSS as pointed out by Randall.

For me I am thinking about creating what these guidelines might include,
and maybe this is the forum to discuss them.

There is an analogy to government as being a form of a club as well :
Personally I would like to see local and state government to be under some
open data and access policy. (
http://www.socrata.com/open-data-field-guide-chapter/developing-your-open-data-policy/)
. Also I am hoping to see that the data is accessible for disabled people
and usable from screen readers. But local governments like hackerspaces are
free to do as they wish and as long as they are viable they will survive
and continue.

mike

--
James Michael DuPont