[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces survey on Free/Libre Open Source Software

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Sun Apr 6 21:31:16 CEST 2014

+1

Our space has a lot of open-source (and even some hardcore GNU)
supporters, and we've been doing Ubuntu events & workshops with
open-source software since we opened our doors. We've also had members
in the past ask to ban proprietary software from the space entirely. We
recognized that while each member has their own principals, the space
can't adhere to every one of them. In fact we decided a long time ago
that the space itself should not be politically motivated or inclined
one way or the other.

The majority of our members are a pragmatic bunch -- go with what works.
Some equipment toolchains (like our laser cutter) are based on
closed-source software. Are there other options? Probably. But we want
to cut things with lasers, not work on the software for cutting things
with lasers, even if it makes us feel better about software freedom.
That said, if a member wants to spend the time to develop an full open
source replacement, by all means they're welcome to do so.

By in large, hackerspaces are full of people with strong principals.
Sometimes it's better to err on the side of inclusiveness instead of
attempting to polarize everyone one way or the other.

Ben