[hackerspaces] Failing/failed hackerspaces

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Fri Apr 4 22:58:18 CEST 2014

Another perspective is when a commercial space of some flavor fails to develop a community and they don't understand why. They see other non-profit and community oriented spaces succeed and can't make the connection. There's one of these in our state and they have great intentions and all but it sounds like they have had a hard time grasping why our space succeeds and they can't cultivate a community. There's nothing wrong with a commercial space but it doesn't start with a focus on the people. It starts with a focus on being profitable which is fine, just not the best way to build a community. It also means that the community comes second to everything else. Starting with a group of people who want to work together and have a good time is great way for a hackerspace to succeed. A slightly different view of the issue FWIW.

-dosman