[hackerspaces] Failing/failed hackerspaces

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Apr 4 22:24:36 CEST 2014

In my humble opinion, a failed hackerspace is one that hasn't been able
to provide a space or community to share knowledge between people (or
for people to simply learn new things). If a physical space lasted for a
week but 1 person was able to learn something new and interesting out of
it, that space would be considered a success in my eyes.

There is no rule that says a space must continue to always exist.

However there is the notion of personal failure in putting time and
energy into creating a space, only to see it burn to the ground shortly
there after.

I would not consider Noisebridge a failure. It had some golden years
doing what many of us saw was act like a very robust an anarchistic
hacker space. It's however evolved and changed, is something else now.
Some would say it's not a hacker space, other say it is. The one thing
we can all agree on however is that people still use the space for
knowledge share and learning.

The majority of founding members since have moved on or away.
Noisebridge now is a self-sustaining hacker space organism, a very
complicated one, particularly the sort that has predictable cycles if
you know what to look for.

Noisebridge is not an outlier or an exception to any rules, it simply
happened to be the one where a bunch of loud internet people gravitated
towards.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net