[hackerspaces] Insurance, liability and kids

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Thu Sep 5 18:13:26 CEST 2013

William Macfarlane <wmacfarl at gmail.com> writes:

>There are many spaces with, for
>instance, no insurance, no rent, and no money.

There are also spaces with very few risks. I think any space with
welders, milling machines, lathes, tablesaws, etc should have insurance.
Some spaces don't have any of those things. (The tablesaw is probably
the most hazardous tool on that list, and the one that a small space is
most likely to have.)

Also, a space that does have those things might not allow kids to have
access to them, even if they're allowed in other parts of the space. We
try to keep kids out of the shop area, unless they're very closely
supervised.

BTW I'm not aware of any "squatted" spaces in the US. I think any
discussion about insurance has to recognize that the situation in the US
is different from the rest of the world.