[hackerspaces] Governance questions

hadez hadez.hso at nrrd.de
Thu Oct 17 13:22:33 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM, hadez <hadez.hso at nrrd.de> wrote:
>> 3) What are your thoughts on your connection to the Make community-- are you
>> a representative body?  Corporate-styled authority? Separate but supporting?
>
> AFAIK there is nothing that can be defined as a "Make community" in Germany.
> If you're talking about the community around Make magazine, that's not
> really that big here.
> We're not actively supporting any such movement but are open for a
> wide range of folks who want to participate in the space.

Just read your mail with the rephrasing of the question.

I dare say that we're probably representing a sizable junk of the
local DIY/hacker/maker community.
However that's a bit... difficult to assess here.
There's a respectable art scene in Stuttgart, a good number of HAM
operators, many local youth clubs which are also organized under a
central body which run physical locations that also have workshops and
some even have a lasercutter etc. Then there's 100+ special interest
groups (linux users, java users, python users, mobile users, the local
chapter of CCC, etc).
There's anything from loose connections (we talk and visit each other
at times or share the same members) to direct cooperation (they meet
at shackspace or we're cooperating with running/attending events) with
quite a few of those.

The thing here in Stuttgart is, unless you start looking actively you
don't even notice that there's anything even approaching an
"alternative" scene ;)
But once you have a few contacts it simply doesn't stop, there's a lot
you don't notice in day to day life.
--
hadez