[hackerspaces] Governance questions

Pete Prodoehl raster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 23:58:20 CEST 2013

On 10/16/13 4:11 PM, Randall G. Arnold wrote:

> Sorry to be so active on the list today... but one of my recent
> questions about operating philosophies is still an issue and I'm
> looking for data.
> For those of you run as nonprofits, I'm hoping you can answer some
> questions for me:

Well, technically, Milwaukee Makerspace is a non-stock corporation that
is fiscally sponsored by the School Factory. But we tend to operate like
a non-profit.

> 1) Is your foundation tied specifically to a space, or operating in
> support of one or more spaces in an area?

Milwaukee Makerspace was originally created as an LLC (to get up and
running quickly) with a President, Vice President, Secretary, etc. This
was when the group started with about a dozen people. As we grew, we
elected a Board of Directors and with the transition, the group that
runs things is actually "Makerspace of Milwaukee, Inc." due to weird
legal reasons, but for all intents and purposes, "Milwaukee Makerspace"
is the group and "Milwaukee Makerspace" is our space. We don't operate
more than one space.

> 2) How are your Board members elected/selected?

We have an election each October, and it's a multi-step process. Members
are nominated by others or by themselves, and then members run for the
named Board positions (President, Treasurer, Operations Director,
Communications Director, and after those are selected, members run for
three "At Large" roles without specific duties. (This allows someone who
did not win a named position to "try again" for an At Large position.)
We just elected the second Board this month. We're still learning the
ins-and-outs of operating with a Board.

> 3) What are your thoughts on your connection to the
> maker/hacker/creative/etc community-- are you a representative body?
> Corporate-styled authority? Separate but supporting?
I'd say we are a representative body of the maker/hacker/creative/etc
community in our area. We have a public mailing list, as well as
accounts on all the major social networks and encourage the public (aka
non-members) to get involved with us and our activities and just general
"making" talk/activities. We've worked with many groups in our city
(mainly in the arts) to help them with projects or just show some of the
cool stuff we do. Most people think of us as "people who do cool things"
which isn't a bad thing, I guess.

> 4) If you take a bottom-up, grassroots, community-first approach to
> governance, have you found that to be a hindrance for sponsorships and
> donations?
We don't really have much sponsorship, but we have got a number of sweet
donations. A local manufacturer gave us a giant industrial robot arm
that didn't quite work right. He knew about us and figured that if
anyone could do something cool with it, it would be us. :)

Pete