[hackerspaces] How did you all first find out about Hackerspaces?

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Wed Oct 16 22:03:31 CEST 2013

I was introduced to alternative workspaces like the ASCII squat in the
early 2000's. The Amsterdam Subversive Centre for Information
Interchange was an anarchist infoshop & internet cafe. I thought it was
one of the fucking coolest thing ever. A place to teach and be taught,
share ideas & information outside of traditional schooling (which I had
long dropped out of).

I continued reading about spaces like c-base and Hacker Houses, and
eventually when the 'hackerspace' term caught on, I dove right in and
didn't look back.

I still think they're one of the fucking coolest things ever.

Ben