[hackerspaces] question about workshop strategy

Steven Sutton ssutton4455 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 20:23:55 CEST 2013

To add to what Alan was saying about Freeside, we also offer members a 20%
discount on classes that come out of Freeside's half.

So the breakdown looks like:
(50% of revenue to Teacher) | (20% member discounts) | (5ish% processing
fees) | (the rest to Freeside)

So for a $30 per student class, the Teacher gets $15 and Freeside gets
around $10 with the rest going to fees and discounts (only about 20% of our
attendance is members but it can fluctuate).

We advertise, schedule, and take payments using Meetup. Our space has only
about 50 members, but there are 879 members of our Meetup group that
periodically take classes.

We also offer a roughly equal number of free meetups, like CryptoParty, the
Neurology/BCI meetup, Analog Game Night, 3D Printing meetups, etc... People
can go to the free meetups and hang around the space to learn. The classes
just focus on basic skills to get people started with the different areas.

Like Alan said, we do a really soft sell for membership. We want people to
join up as members because they want to grow the organization. If they just
want to use services and be spectators (as the majority does), then that is
fine too. We try to include them and create opportunity for them to
contribute on their own terms.

So we fall along a pretty similar line as Will said of Parts and Crafts -
we offer some diverse options based on what the community seems to want and
the direction that we want to drive the space in. We've found it really
useful to have a few options available so that you can be flexible, but
still define the expectations and framework of those events so that you're
not too confusing. It's a tough balance to walk.

Steven Sutton
President, Freeside Atlanta
www.freesideatlanta.org
http://www.meetup.com/Freeside-Atlanta/