[hackerspaces] Radio Shack Hackerspace Challenge: $1000 Prize!

Michel Gallant sfxman at gmail.com
Sat May 25 08:54:14 CEST 2013

On May 25, 2013 12:53 AM, "Randall G. Arnold" <randall.arnold at texrat.net>
wrote:

> response below.
>
> > On May 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM Yves Quemener <quemener.yves at free.fr>
wrote:

> > On 25/05/13 04:57, Randall G. Arnold wrote:
> > > There is little to nothing that small to medium sized organizations
can
> > > typically do about extending contests beyond borders. Legal hurdles
are
> > > what they are and not easily surmounted.
> >
> > Are they? Everyone seems to assume that these are insurmontable but no
one
> > wants to state them. Legalese is often as hackable as code, I am sure
that
> > as soon as someone states the official laws blocking this, we will find
> > way to weasel out of it.
> >
> > I mean, Apple managed to dodge the US fiscal code totally legally, how
hard
> > could it be to make an honest, ethical, international, non-anonymous,
> > fiscally declared, monetary prize? On this list we have legal
non-profits
> > (and for profits) of various legal status in a variety of jurisdictions
> > that would be willing to cooperate toward that. We have tools like
bitcoin.
> > Heh, I wouldn't be surprised that some guys from bitcoin-central would
read
> > this list (hey guys! say hi!) which is officially recognized as a BANK
in
> > France.
> >
> > The tools and goodwill at disposal to solve this problem are numerous,
so
> > why not state them in a way that would allow it to be solved?
> >

> I think it's a little disingenuous to compare a hackerspace with a
resource-rich, lawyered-up, multibillion dollar company like Apple (whom I
will neither defend nor emulate).

> Anyway, my main point was that in my opinion the protest was much ado
about, really, nothing.  Forget "weaseling" around legal restrictions or
invoking bitcoins as prizes-- a hackerspace should reserve the right to
participate in events with border-based prize restrictions, and I'm still
of the opinion they should be able to make an announcement of such on this
list... with the caveat that clear disclaimers upfront are useful.

> Randall

As the guy who provoked this "ado" with a simple question, I feel like I
should respond. To you, a dude who lives in Texas and is therefore eligible
for this contest, this discussion is a bunch of people complaining about
something that has no effect whatsoever *on you*, so of course you perceive
it as much ado about nothing. Those of us outside the US perceive it very
differently.