[hackerspaces] How to acquire insurance for your space

Paul Brown paul90brown at gmail.com
Thu May 23 22:26:25 CEST 2013

This is definitely the best article I've seen written on US hackerspace
insurance.

A few additional things I learned from my experience with Dallas Makerspace:

   - Commercial Property and General Liability are treated as two separate
   types of insurance.

   General Liability
   "will pay those sums that the insured becomes legally obligated to pay
   as damages because of bodily injury or property damage" (trip and fall
   lawsuits)

   Commercial Property
   "will pay for direct physical loss of or damage to covered property at
   the premises described" (fire, theft, etc)

   - I'm still confused about this, but I was told neither of the above
   insurances will cover a hackerspace whose negligence results in a member's
   arm getting cut off by a poorly maintained table saw (just an example). And
   they probably won't cover a member stealing things.

   - Some states have broad volunteer immunity laws, and in those states -
   D&O insurance seems to only be useful for covering bad things which happen
   outside of the volunteer's responsibilities (like slander, etc).