[hackerspaces] Fundraising for FLOSS non-profit accounting software

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Thu May 2 17:07:10 CEST 2013

We used to use GNUCash at i3 Detroit, but wound up switching to the
proprietary software that shall not be named.

The major limitations of GNUCash were:
* Not a web app - prevented dividing tasks among multiple pepole
(receipt/payment entry, reconciliation, billing, etc.).
* No way to track vendors/customers.  We wound up creating a sub-account
for each member, which was really unwieldy, especially since GNUCash didn't
alphabetize them, and wouldn't total them in our reports.
* Clunky interface.
* Learning curve too steep for volunteers.

Also here's a feature request that I've never been able to find in *any*
accounting software:
* See the statement date for which each transaction was reconciled.

If anyone starts an open source bookkeeping web app, I'd love to get on the
dev list.

-Ed

Edward L. Platt
http://elplatt.com