[hackerspaces] [Discuss] [Open Manufacturing] Re: Open Source Hardware Documentation Jam, New York City, April 26-28

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 23:25:33 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Javier Serrano <Javier.Serrano at cern.ch> wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 09:43 PM, Bryan Bishop wrote:
>
>> cern - http://www.ohwr.org/projects/bpm-dbe/repository (oops, i was
>> wrong, they have no specification document)
>
> This is just one among the ~100 projects in ohwr.org. This site aims at
> hosting Open Source Hardware designs and is indeed run by CERN. For

I am aware of this, but I thought there was a specification somewhere.
Instead, I just ended up linking to a specific project.

> The example you quoted is not a mature design. Here are a couple of
> better examples:
>
> http://www.ohwr.org/projects/spec/wiki
> http://www.ohwr.org/projects/fmc-adc-100m14b4cha/wiki

Thank you.

> So far we have just used common sense ("the least common of the senses",
> I know!) and published everything needed to view, modify and manufacture
> the boards and test them.
>
> We are quite happy about:
>
> - The functionality ohwr.org offers.
> - The response from companies which commercialize these designs.
> - The legal framework provided by the CERN Open Hardware Licence.
>
> Of course, everything is perfectible and I am following discussions in
> this list with interest!
>
> What we are focusing our OSHW effort on these days is design tools. We
> are contributing to Icarus Verilog and Kicad [1]. I think this is the

I am curious, does that mean CERN has someone specifically allocated
to verilog and kicad? That would be really exciting news.

> biggest hurdle for effective sharing right now, and I hope this year and

File format compatibility?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507