[hackerspaces] Hackerspace for South Sudan

Josh Pritt ramgarden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 20:40:46 CEST 2013

Two projects come to mind. Here at Makers Local 256 we have members in a project that's basically a golf cart battery on a hand truck with a solar panel to keep it charged. It has an electronics box with a small raspberry pi type computer, wifi router and some cellular and/or ham radios.  I'm not familiar with all the details and exact radios but it's job is to quickly and cheaply roll out a mesh network of these nodes to restore Internet connectivity to places of natural or man made devastation or to places that never had the connectivity.

The other project we have been involved in is called Engineers Without Borders which is exactly like doctors without borders only they bring engineering skills to places that need it. Examples are of inexpensive human powered well pumps made from PVC and other off the shelf items.  They've also made simple water purification and filtering systems from materials and parts they already have.

Sent from my iPad