[hackerspaces] pick and place..?

hadez hadez.hso at nrrd.de
Tue Jun 25 14:19:40 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Gui Cavalcanti <gui at artisansasylum.com> wrote:
> One of our members owns one and is thoroughly familiar with its use and upkeep, and he lends out its use as other members need it. We decided it wasn't worth it for us to keep one as a space for the reasons mentioned in previous emails.

shackspace has its own pnp[0] for quite some time now. I think around
3 years by now.
Luckily one of our members has professional experience with that kind
of machinery and was able to do a full maintenance of it.
Still it's one of the long running on-and-off projects over here.
We've just recently managed to get our hands on an air compressor
which is needed to operate it.
So besides from maintenance, moving the head around to test mechanics
and cameras not much happened with it so far.
We hope to change that in the foreseeable future and maybe, possibly,
probably also make the machine available to other hackerspace folks
who want to drop by and populate a few batches of PCBs for their
projects.

In retrospect I'd say we would have never gotten one if it wasn't for
free at the time.
This thing weighs in at around half a metric ton and there's no way of
making it smaller for transport by taking it apart (the frame is one
fixed chunk-o-metal.
Luckily, at our present location we have a large door downstairs and a
freight elevator which terminates in a room big enough to hold the
machine.
Because of its size the machine isn't really going anywhere other than
that one room, it simply doesn't fit any of our doors (or windows).

All considered, it's kind of a vanity item ;)

[0] http://shackspace.de/wiki/doku.php?id=project:pick-n-place
--
hadez
shackspace