[hackerspaces] Food at OHM213

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 23 13:35:45 CEST 2013

Hi to all,
Many thanks to Mitch for mentioning the Food Hacking Base (fhb) project here.

Most  likely you have met us on previous hacker events or you god a workshop  of ours at your local hackerspace, for the ones who did not - fhb is an  open platform for people/hackers who are interested in experimenting  with food&beverages and coming together on a big hacker events like  CCC conferences, camps as a kind of family, group or village pick your  own. More info here

https://ohm2013.org/wiki/Village:Food_Hacking_Base

It  is a special time for us now because after two years of being active on  bigger events and more or less “dormant” in the meanwhile, we are  starting to move towards lets say “permanent continuous” activity. We  have registered our domain foodhackingbase.org and most importantly for  the list and this moment we started our first crowd sourcing campaign at  Indiegogo

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/food-hacking-base-at-ohm-2013

Yes, we will serve food at OHM however there are several other goals which for example are:

- serve as a food hacking hub, providing as much open kitchen/lab to people who are interested in experimenting

-  place for donation based workshops on various related topics (no one turned away for lack of funds) like for example matelade

- building washing facility and most of all

- hexayurt based cold room which is the big project of this event

https://ohm2013.org/wiki/Village:Food_Hacking_Base/Project/Cold_room

There  are tons of other activities which are directly related to “who is in”,  so matelade is going to be big, so will be mate sodas and wide variety  of probiotic drinks. As usually we are big on vegan staff, so that is  going to stay, another bit crazy for many is our “Kombucha cosmopolita”  project where we try to hack a worldwide collection of probiotic  kombucha culture SCOBY’s from all around the world creating super rich  “Kombucha cosmopolita” (yes I’m behind that one :-)).

Anyway  this is just a short overview of what we are after. As you can see we  do food but actually the “catering” is rather limited to people who are  really into our staff, vegans or people with special dietary  restrictions, plus as on previous events whoever is interested from the  Hackers on a Plane project which is in again. If you are after the food  in I would say restaurant style (plus fun’s of beer) you should really  check out on Milliways they will be there as always and by the way their  crowdsourcing campaign

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/build-a-milliways-food-trailer

They are struggling with their fundraiser and are trying to make an awesome project happen.

I  hope that you will find our project of Food Hacking Base interesting,  if you can please promote, support and of course pop in at OHM 2013!

So let's have a nice OHM2013 together.

Sincerely for fhb,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

PS: What can you do with a cold room? Swap a hot mate against a cool one, cool your beer, swap beer with others and taste local beers from all over. We try to make this happen, and see how it works out. We really would love to have a big cold room for all!

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org