[hackerspaces] Storing Scrap Metal/Wood

Gui Cavalcanti gui at artisansasylum.com
Sat Jun 22 22:28:48 CEST 2013

Oh god. Don't build that thing, it was terrible. It eventually weighed over 2,000 pounds, sagged, and couldn't be moved.

We switched to a home built system like you see at Home Depot (where arms stick out from a wall - http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Categories/Lumber_Composites/Body/Images/LC_Promo_Img_B.jpg ) that you can lay long stock on. We can accommodate raw stock from a steel distributor, which is usually 21-24 ft long. We didn't bolt ours to the wall (which you should), and we don't really have enough levels on it, but it works.

We've also had success with these guys: http://2051c116f573ac17516c-b81ff6485f85a81c17fc5ed8482993db.r91.cf1.rackcdn.com/vertical-storage-racks4590-7206.jpg

We just outgrew them pretty quickly. They're really compact and efficient for 8-12ft metal stock, though. Not so great for wood.

We also just made ourselves a sheet storage rack that looks like this: http://vestilmfg.com/products/jpg/EEE6.jpg Jury's still out on that one. If we had planned it better, we would've include sliders or rollers on the base to get sheets out easier. Getting metal sheet in and out is a pain in the ass.

We've found its best to make the structures liftable and moveable by pallet jack, without worrying about getting casters rated for absurd loads.

Good luck!