[hackerspaces] Prism Break Badge

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Fri Jul 26 05:39:59 CEST 2013

On 26/07/13 04:50, Mark Janssen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:
>> yes, but python itself is several megabytes in size.  and on a machine that
>> doesn't have more than say 8 megabytes of usable space... that's an
>> unmitigated waste.
>
> Yes, for sure.   I've been wanting to create a gcc front-end for
> python so that one can compile python source directly to an
> executable.

There if a python front-end for llvm. I have faint memory of toying a bit
with them (at the time my idea was to see if I could use both the python
front-end and the javascript back-end, it was not that successful)

This one was the one I tried :
http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/
but it seems to be discontinued since 2010

There is also this one:
http://code.google.com/p/py2llvm/
which seems more active, but that still is very uncomplete:

"Since Python is a dynamic programming language, not all feature of Python
can be mapped into LLVM IR by py2llvm. Only statically type-inferable and
no object-oriented code fragment could be translated, but this is almost
enough for performance-oriented programs for example numerical computation
and graphics."

But yes, these should not be considered good solutions. When making
embedded software, the footprint of the program has to be taken seriously.