[hackerspaces] Please explain this to me

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 02:48:28 CEST 2013

Phil,
Sorry my fellow hackers are too busy inside-joking at each other.

Here is my take on things, hopefully it it a good mix of mostly-factual
and mostly-readable.  Many (70% I'd guess?) of people involved in the
2007-ish wave of establishing new Hackerspaces (only 8 to 10 of them) in
the US came to it though a few venues, and an event 'Hackers on a Plane'
to visit CCC in germany.   Those venues (and CCC)  have ties to
libertarianism, older school hippies, and human empowerment. For example:

 - 2600 Magazine
 - Open Source movement
  - DefCon
 - Euro (esp, German CCC) Hackerspace Scene.
 - Misc. university related DIY clubs.

While there have been DIY clubs across the us with many focuses,
including engineering, the thread of calling themselves 'hackerspace'
(a) and being proactive in inviting the outside world (b), being a
nonprofit (c) and trying to pay for things by membership (d) tend to all
come through that group of people, and propagated as symbiotic memes.

The Open Source, 2600, or the Euro. all have roots that go back to the
1970's, and into the counter culture.  Many of the ideals of technology
empowering the masses (not just companies), of 'anyone can be an expert'
, and of 'share because you can, not because you must'  originated in
that area, and carried through to form the a,b,c,d type of memes above.

So in short, the roots of the roots of the hackerspace scene were mostly
hippies.  If you look at the 'Whole/Organic' Foods movement, CSA have
similar roots-of-roots were hippies' thread.

I would suggest reading "Barefoot into Cyperspace" for an even better
overview of things.

Now back to your regular self-referential inside jokes, starrrring the
faaaaaaameous  *** Things Noisebrige Seinfeld Says*** !!!!1111eleventy

hack on;
- Far McKon