[hackerspaces] Updating Hackerspace wiki entry

Florian Holzhauer fh-hackerspaces at fholzhauer.de
Tue Jul 23 07:57:49 CEST 2013

Hi List, Hey Ryan,

I already fixed it yesterday evening, so everything should be back up
and running.

However, it might be a good thing to discuss this in general:

Hackerspaces.org is experiencing an annoying amount of spam, several
pages per day currently. The problem is, that apparently most of it is
being created manually by copypaste:

* Email addresses are being verified
* Captchas are apparently useless, both graphical and questions
* Some of the spam pages are being edited for some minutes and
rearranged if the spam filter triggers
* Source IP addresses are random dialup IPs
* User Agents, etc, are pretty standard and random

I dont see right now a method do deal with such a pattern without having
false positives.

So either we risk having every few weeks a false positive, or the wiki
being flooded with spam. Before my small workaround plugin existed, the
spam was being cleaned manually by usually two or three volunteers
monitoring Recent Changes. But this is a pretty tiresome and
nonsustainable way, so I doubt this would work for long.

The only other way I currently see is some kind of manual verification,
and this is way more annoying for all involved parties than a false
positive every few weeks.

I would be very happy to see a recommendation for another solution. I am
very well aware that the current state might suck, especially for the
false positives. :)

Cheers,
Florian