[hackerspaces] Hackerspace crisis plan

Thomas R. Koll tomk32 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:31:23 CET 2013

you gotta update this page: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Downgrade_hackerspace

> > You need to get out and drag people in.
> > I'm currently helping to get a space started in Linz and have ot fight against
> > people who don't want us to do marketing for the space.
> > But you have to becaue you need the people.
>
> Actually, that's one of the multiple reasons of internal conflict. Hope you win your fight dude.

Easy to win. Just ask them: "How did you get here?" Unless they founded it,
they came here thanks to marketing. Even word-to-mouth is marketing.
Bigger mouth, shout louder and you have more success :)

I'll use your terrible situation as an argument to win my own fight for more marketing.

> > On the homepage, you hit visitors with how much it costs, okay but not very welcoming.
> > The about page has a better text, copy it over.
>
> Right, I'd have to change it, I also want to give special price to unemployed and students.
> At this point we're all trying to get it up, so we can do everything we've got on our hands, and being that few is easy to not differ.
> We had quite a restrictive politic about membership, wich probably has blow everything.

Your page Servicios y proyectos, well hidden, has good text as well,
bring that to the homepage. You want people to get the idea quickly.

> Membership fee includes a set of keys, wich might be not good to give for free and without some papers.

Disconnect keys and membership, keys to those who need them, that allows you to accept any member.

--
Thomas R. Koll, ruby on rails and indie games developer
http://devlol.org