[hackerspaces] Toasting the 3D Printer

Peter Kuhm peter at null.priv.at
Mon Jan 21 18:40:07 CET 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:49:23 -0600 Stewart Dickson wrote:

> During the meeting(s) we had to plan how to get the machine set up and
> begin printing objects on it, it was mentioned that...
>
> A tradition exists within Hackerspaces that, after the Calibration
> Pyramid is printed,
> the next object to build is a shot glass - Or, preferably one glass
> per person in attendance -
> And a toast is drunk to the 3D printer using glasses that it printed.
>
> Can anyone confirm this tradition and say whether it is documented anywhere?

in late 2007 Bre became artist in residence in Viennese MuseumsQuartier
on intervention and invitation of artist group monochrom. The project
he choose was to build a RepStrap bot - and because monochrom is engaged
in organizing http://www.roboexotica.org (the annual festival for cocktail
robotics -since 1999!) the declared aim was to print shotglasses with the
machine

-> http://www.flickr.com/photos/bre/2054442263/in/set-72157602961046741/

-> http://blog.makezine.com/2007/11/23/make-a-reprap-robot-part-1/

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFC1dqWk6FY
| Make a RepStrap Robot (Part 2) - Weekend Projects Podcast

During the 2007 exhibition the motor driver were blown but for
roböx 2008 the ShotBot was reactivated, see its label here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctp/3084243897/sizes/l/in/photostream/
http://reprap.soup.io/post/9390599/We-reactivated-our-old-McWire-RepStrap-and
Shotglass 2008:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bre/3084033602/sizes/l/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shifzr/3084644574/sizes/l/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shifzr/3086779528/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Don't know about a tradition (although once sipped Club-Mate out of a
printed glass) but this video might have contributed to the saga

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CkuZDC88gA
| Things - Toasting the Birth of a RepRap

cheers from the Metalab :)
Peter