[hackerspaces] Hackers, feminism, and bullying

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Sat Jan 19 03:42:27 CET 2013

Not trolling at all.  I think that may be the dumbest thing I've read
all week.

You seriously don't see how utterly ridiculous that is?  Let me psuedo
code this for you.

Here's a quick simplified logic set for your tone argument.

import geekfeminism.wikia.com as legitimate.argument

expression_function_array[] = [ talk, write, sign, be an unbelievable
jerk, sing, interpretive dance, mood ring, self immolate , etc , etc2
]

express_self() {
   feedback = ( expression_function_array[] )
   return feedback
}

evaluate_feedback(feedback) {
   switch feedback :
      case: 'concerned about your tone'
         evaluation = legitimate.argument.tone_Argument()
      default:
         evaluation = do_whatever()
   return evaluation
}

main() {

  feedback = express_self()
  evaluation = evaluate_feedback(feedback)
  if ( evaluation == legitimate.argument.tone_Argument() ) {
     'person providing feedback is attempting to avoid acceptance of
my concerns and I am being oppressed'
  }

}

Now the first problem is that you imported from geekfeminism.wikia.com
a method and tried to apply it to your life.  Adhering to the basic
tenets of random websites is no way to go through life.

The second problem is if express_self is using an array of express
functions.  That's not an array.  When you express yourself, there is
always a tone component.  Sometimes we can set that component to NULL,
but for talking or sounding like an offensive jerk there is a definite
tone value.

So you should be using a dictionary there rather than an array.

And then you need to take the tone associated with any function of
expression into account when evaluating the feedback.  Because there
is a chance that your tone has a finite state of offensive.  That
would warrant a concern about your tone in the feedback that is
implicit.  It's not generated as a result of your expressed data.
It's generated as a result of the expression function you used to
transmit that data.  More to the point when this condition occurs
there is no bearing on the gender of the person or their position on
feminism or any other topic you may be transmitting data concerning.

Let me explain again in psuedo code.  I'll demonstrate with the unsafe
geekfeminism.wikia.com class still loaded.

#  Not a standard library.  Unauthenticated and dangerous prototype code
import geekfeminism.wikia.com as legitimate.argument

expression_function_array[] = { [talk, tone=normal] , [write,
tone=NULL] , [sign, tone=NULL] , [be an unbelievable jerk,
tone=offensive] , [sing, tone=melodic] , [ interpretive dance,
tone=NULL] , [ mood ring, tone=pastels ] , [ self immolate, tone=NULL]
, [ etc, tone=VALUE ] , [ etc2 , tone=VALUE ] }

express_self() {
   feedback = ( expression_function_dict{} )
   return feedback
}

evaluate_feedback(feedback) {
   switch feedback :
      case: 'concerned about your tone'
         if ( tone == offensive ) {
           print "tone offensive must load politeness module with
manners class instantiated")
           exit(2)
         } elsif ( tone == normal ) {
           evaluation = legitimate.argument.tone_Argument()
         } else {
           evaluation = danger.possible.nutbag.raise_alert()
         }
      default:
         evaluation = do_whatever()
   return evaluation
}

main() {

  feedback = express_self()
  evaluation = evaluate_feedback(feedback)
  if ( evaluation == legitimate.argument.tone_Argument() ) {
     'person providing feedback is attempting to avoid acceptance of
my concerns and I am being oppressed'
  } else {
    'run for your very life this person could very well be a lunatic'
  }

}

So this is a quick and simple fix to the logic for instantiating the
tonal argument that will solve for the case in which your tone is
offensive.

In reality there's still a problem.  And that's with the tonal
argument method itself.  It's using non explicitly defined values
improperly and the whole argument if called will segfault your
application of it.

Basically you can't use it without your application exploding all over
the place.

-Matt