[hackerspaces] Cost sharing for lasers and 3D printers?

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Sat Jan 19 01:58:38 CET 2013

Ace Monster Toys charges for laser cutter usage.

Seven (?) of us got together and fronted the money to buy the giant ass laser cutter and got it into the space. Once a quarter, out of funds collected, are are paid back a little on the investment.

We charge the public $1 a minute (this is from memory). AMT members pay $0.50 a minute. The original investors pay $0.25 a minute and it is applied against their investment monies owed.

We built a little odometer that counts every second that the laser tube fires (we could build a better system maybe) automatically. We hand keep records of the tallies per user of readings when they started and stopped using on a given use. People bring their own materials in to laser cut from the approved list.

Al

--
Al Billings
http://www.openbuddha.com