[hackerspaces] Hackers, feminism, and bullying

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Fri Jan 18 19:07:43 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Tim Saylor <tim.saylor at gmail.com> wrote:
> But you probably want a hackerspace not full of assholes.  If you don't deal
> with the community aspect of your space and try to proactively solve drama
> and interpersonal relations, the assholes will win and take over your space.
> And then it dies, or at best stagnates and becomes a clubhouse.

Some of the biggest assholes I have met in the hacker community are
the people first in line to try and pro-actively 'solve' drama.  They
are the gasoline of flame wars, thriving on drama wherever they may
find it.  Being pro-active is by itself worthless.

Personally, I feel that conflict resolution is only achievable when
membership is capable of respecting each other, and feeling
comfortable enough with each other to have an open dialogue in which
both parties are willing to first forgive, then accept each others
differences.

If members cannot do that, they should not be members.  You cannot
change people without them first wanting to change.

-Matt